Senior Agriculture Program Officers x2
Title: Two (2) Senior Agriculture Program Officers
Reports to: Country Director
Location: To be determined between Lusaka, Kabwe and Kasama.
Duration: Program is 4 years. Renewable contract format expected.
Travel: Up to 50%
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With nearly five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
The National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC) implements Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) interventions as part of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program. The USAID funded SUN TA program will work in 13 districts in the provinces of Central, Northern, Copperbelt and Luapula and provide support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government officials in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to significantly reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two.
TechnoServe is part of the SUN TA consortium led by DAI. TechnoServe will work within agriculture and livelihoods parts of the program. The SUN TA program will work with a multi-sectoral approach with the overall objective of reducing malnutrition and stunting with a particular focus of mothers with young children. Overall the program aims to reduce stunting in target areas by 2% annually. The work of TechnoServe within the agriculture and livelihoods component is to be designed to support these overall ambitions.
III. Position Description:
The Senior Agriculture Program Officers will take part in overall design and conceptualization as well as implementation of agriculture and livelihood activities and will provide technical support to achieve expected results. S/he will provide program implementation direction at district/province level for program activities within agriculture and livelihoods. S/he will establish and maintain close and effective liaison with relevant government officials, partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate effective program implementation and achievement of results.
Key Management Duties & Responsibilities
- At district/province level provide technical leadership, oversight, and capacity development for nutrition-focused agricultural production components of the project, ensuring linkages with other project components.
- At district/province level guide the effective activity implementation and achievement of agricultural production and market systems objectives including working with private sector in relevant agricultural value chains using a market systems approach.
- Work with provincial and district and ward-level counterparts to develop District SUN annual work plans, coordinating with M&E team on indicators and target development.
- Provide TA provincial and district and ward-level counterparts to support work plan implementation on smallholder livelihoods, including nutritious food production, storage, processing, marketing, and transport.
- Attend partner coordination meetings as appropriate. Ensure that activities are coordinated with relevant stakeholders, including communities.
- Identify areas for additional TA or other support from consortium partners.
- Other tasks as may be assigned for successful achievement of agriculture and livelihoods objectives.
- Develop an annual workplan and strategy to deliver outputs and objectives against agreed targets and coordinate delivery
- Ensure strict compliance with TNS’s objectives, strategies, policies and procedures.
- Assist the Finance and Budget Analyst in timely tracking of program expenditures, budget management and forecasting.
- Take part in reporting including M&E to meet project and TNS requirements
- Active participation on regional team meetings and program reviews, sharing learnings, challenges faced and solutions identified.
IV. Required Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in a related discipline;
- Significant program or project management experience and proven ability to guide and lead effectively;
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in providing technical expertise to government institutions and/or private sector partners in the agricultural sector;
- 7-10 years of experience using market systems approaches, value chain development approaches or similar to improve livelihoods and reduce poverty in the agricultural sector;
- Significant hands-on field level experience working with agriculture development and livelihood activities at the household and community levels preferably in the provinces in question;
- Proven ability to successfully lead partnerships with government, private sector, community-based organizations and stakeholders;
- Initiative, drive and the ability to drive a process;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to adapt communication styles to a range of audiences, including professional and community stakeholders;
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.