Research and Social Performance Manager
About the Company
Agora Microfinance Zambia (AMZ) is a rural microfinance company that operates under a non-deposit microfinance license from the Bank of Zambia. Currently the Company works with some 25,000 clients in three provinces of Zambia through 11 branches and a staff of 120. The Company aims to expand and strengthen its operations with a long-term goal of national reach, strong financial and social performance and overall contribution to the Zambian economy and society.
The Research Manager will establish a strong and independent Research and Social Performance Framework in the Company. The position will play a vital part in translating the mission and principles of the Company into practice. The role will involve, amongst others, the following activities
- Establishing systems and processes for collecting relevant market information through client and market surveys
- Establishing a social performance framework that collects and analyses information on client well-being, including the mapping of client livelihoods and helping understand such aspects as client satisfaction, reasons for exits, delinquencies, product suitability and the like
- Lead the design and coordinate implementation of new innovative projects and pilot tests for areas identified as priority for the Company, such as new technology adoption, credit scoring and product development
The expected duration for the position is 2 years, potentially renewable for an additional year.
- Master’s Degree in business, finance, economics, or a related field
- At least five years of experience in data driven analysis, of which at least two years should be in microfinance
- Strong understanding of social performance aspects in microfinance
- Significant levels of energy, ambition and enthusiasm
- Strong, self-motivated leadership and supervision skills
- Excellent analytical skills as well as ability to design efficient processes/procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Relevant regional experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is also a major plus
As this is a new function being established, the main initial responsibilities will involve design and testing of research tools, and presenting the outputs internally to both the senior management as well as the board of the Company. Thereafter the Manager will put together a competent team to carry out the various research activities of the Company, within the approved budgets of the Company.