PROJECT TECHNICAL OFFICER
Position: Project Technical Officer
Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF), an international organisation representing local government across the Commonwealth, in partnership with the Local Government Association of Zambia (LGAZ) and the Ministry of Local Government (MLG) is about to commence the implementation of the Enhancing Local Government Capacity for Development Project with funding from the EU Delegation to Zambia.
The project aims to enhance local governance for effective and efficient inclusive service delivery and development in 10 local authorities in Lusaka, Copperbelt and Northern provinces.
CLGF is inviting suitably qualified candidates to assume the role of Project Technical Officer to provide technical support to the implementation of an upcoming 3- Year project. The Project Technical Officer’s duties and responsibilities are outlined below.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Provide technical support to project implementation
- Provide technical support to project implementation in 10 local authorities with respect to: 1) local government capacity building, 2)integrated development planning,3)local economic development and 4) provision of primary health care
- Assist in the development of the local capacity assessment frameworks and tools
- Conduct an assessment of the target local authorities’ institutional and human resource capacity to determine the appropriate interventions needed to improve performance.
- Support, design and tailor local governance capacity development programme for the 10 local authorities in Zambia
- Facilitate the implementation of capacity building interventions in participating 10 local authorities, including identification of experts and direct technical assistance
- Provide day- to- day liaison with local authorities and other project partners regarding project implementation and monitoring of risks and changes.
- Contribute to internal and external reporting processes, both narrative and financial, with a particular focus on project outputs and outcomes.
2. Manage the successful planning, delivery and monitoring of the Enhancing Local Government Capacity for Development Project
- Assist the Project Manager with the development, design and delivery of the project implementation plan
- Contribute to the development of annual project plans and budgets and provide guidance to ensure the achievement of project annual targets
- Provide on-going project monitoring and evaluation against the programme implementation plan and individual project documents and budgets.
- Monitor project progress against agreed targets and performance indicators
- Organise events and activities essential to the delivery of the project
- Support overall project administration
3. Communications and knowledge sharing
- Contribute to the development of communications materials to inform stakeholders and the public of key Project activities and results in line with the project communications strategy
- Assist the Project Manager to communicate progress, risks, expectations, timelines, milestones and other key project metrics to project partners
- Support the development and dissemination of project knowledge products as envisaged in the project proposal
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Town Planning, Public Administration or other related fields.
- A master’s degree is an added advantage
- At least 3 years professional experience, preferably relating to project management, particularly within the local government, international development or voluntary sector.
- Experience of identifying funding opportunities, building relationships with donors and preparing applications.
- Experience of working on EC funded projects would be an added advantage.
- Some experience of communications and knowledge product development, websites and use of social media would be an advantage
- Knowledge of and interest in decentralisation, local government and its role in development nationally and internationally and relevant experience of the sector in Zambia.
Knowledge and technical expertise
- Possesses expert knowledge of at least one of the following: local government , decentralisation including local government capacity building, integrated development planning, local economic development and provision of primary health care
- Strong knowledge, technical competence and experience of creating and delivering capacity building projects
- Extensive experience in all aspects of project management, (assessment, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, partner management and funding)
- Strong analytical and assessment ability; capable of working at both a strategic and operational level, with a capacity to translate overall objectives into clear, coherent and practical action plans
- Possesses knowledge of information technology and how it can be applied to promote good local governance
- Good knowledge and awareness of other issues and areas of focus which impact on this project, including Gender, Human rights and HIV/AIDS
- Understanding of local government and development policies regarding public sector/local government reforms in Zambia
- Able to work independently but also able to work effectively as part of a team
- Experience of donor contracts and relationships, with a good understanding of their requirements.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office.
- Effective analytical skills and good presentation of performance information to evaluate achievements.
- Good interpersonal skills, political awareness and sensitivity, and high standards of ethics and personal conduct.
- Sound written and oral communication skills and experience of using social media/websites as a tool for promotion
- Good level of attention to detail
- Sensitivity to diversity