Procurement & Logistics Officer
Build It International is an NGO creating opportunities for young people and their communities through skills training, work experience and essential community building projects. We have pioneered a sustainable, livelihoods based approach to community infrastructure provision and are now expanding our building skills training work.
One of our core activities is to train young men and women in construction skills so that they can go on to earn a living. We deliver this through our programme of community building construction projects and through building skills training at our Centre for Excellence currently under development.
To ensure the smooth running of the BII Zambia procurement and logistics operations through the provision of timely acquisitions and deliveries, accurate record keeping, appropriate and timely procurement information; Ensure the BII Zambia fleet is well maintained and meets all statutory requirements for road-worthiness, including insurance, road tax, and ensuring records are up to date.
- Ensure BII Zambia Procurement processes and systems are followed at all times.
- Produce and work with weekly procurement calendar based on project programmes and key dates as shown on purchase order requisitions.
- Produce and distribute to Head of Finance a twice-monthly cash requirement forecast based upon procurement calendar.
- Manage procurement exercises at least three times a year, collecting three quotes for required items and record each procurement exercise accurately to align with project programmes for budget submittals
- Discuss and Activate any necessary Purchase Order Requisitions with Site Agents, training staff, and office staff on a weekly basis
- Produce Purchase Orders with the correct process codes and in accordance with BII systems and process and submit to the Finance Department for supplier payment.
- Ensure delivery of materials for each project in a timely manner and in keeping with dates shown on Purchase Order Requisitions – produce schedule for transportation/delivery and distribute weekly. Negotiate discounted rates with suppliers wherever possible and identify which suppliers offer the best quality goods at the best rate ensuring value for money and keeping accurate records of such at all times.
- Coordinate the process annual supplier and contractor registration.
- Strive at all times to reduce BII approved budget costs through bulk buys, discounted rates, timely delivery dates whilst maintaining quality and programme.
- Daily update of all Project Forecast Expenditure Reports to reflect actual purchases/expenditure with a twice monthly project report produced for harmonisation exercise with Finance and Procurement Officer
- Ensure that all BII documentation in regards to procurement of project materials is accurate and filed appropriately for accountability purpose
- Assist the Administrator in the management of BII rented properties.
- Ensure regular communication and responsiveness with the Construction Operations Manager, Site Agents, Training & Livelihoods team and Finance Department
- Conduct quality checks/inspections to ensure procured materials/services meet BII specifications
- Perform other such duties that may be assigned by line managers
- Ensure timely, accurate record keeping and submittal to the Finance and Procurement Officer of Delivery Records and Purchases records to ensure the BII Register of Assets and Capital is kept up to date
- Conduct asset/inventory exercise on a quarterly basis following the BII Asset and Tool/Equipment policies and ensuring results are accurate. Submit to and work with Finance and Procurement Officer to ensure accuracy in both locations of and type of capital/asset recorded
- Make suggestions/recommendations in the maintenance, repair, replacement, or retirement of BII capital and assets, including the identification of appropriate service providers for approval by management.
- Ensure all BII vehicles are maintained in line with BII and national guidelines. Produce schedule of maintenance for monthly distribution to COM and Head of Finance. Prepare Purchase Order Requests for any works to be carried out in accordance with BII procurement policies.
- Ensure all BII vehicles have trackers installed and properly monitored.
- Produce & submit monthly vehicle tracker reports highlight and follow up exceptions.
- Ensure that all BII Vehicles are branded with the BII Zambia logos.
- Ensure staff driving BII vehicles are authorised and assessed.
- Ensure compliance to BII vehicle policy.
- Ensure that appropriate vehicle hand over and take over procedures are followed.
- Ensure vehicle road tax, fitness and insurance are up-to-date and renewed for all BII vehicles.
The role reports on a day to day basis to both the Construction Operations Manager for all items related to ‘Procurement and Logistics’ and to the Finance Manager (all tasks related to ‘Finance’ and ‘Asset Management’ headings)
Other Key Relationships
- Construction Manager
- Finance Manager
- Site Agents
- Senior Procurement and Assets Officer
- Administration staff
Qualifications and Work Experience
- Minimum Level 3 Diploma with the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) or its equivalent.
- Previous work experience in a related field
- Excellent communication and team work skills
- Good computer skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Valid driver’s licence
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
How to Apply
- Check that you can meet the basic requirements listed in the job description
- Your application should consist of the following: