DRIVER/MESSENGER – HIGH COMMISSION OF CANADA
Position title: Driver / Messenger
Appointment Process No. EXT-306215
Department: Office of the High Commission of Canada to Zambia
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Close date: 23rd March, 2016
Summary of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Common Services Assistant and direct supervision of the Head of Office, provides transportation for the Embassy staff and authorised passengers, performs delivery and collection of materials, provides messenger services, ensures the proper maintenance of assigned vehicle, performs general administrative tasks and performs other duties, as required. The majority of the driving will take place in and around Lusaka, but occasional multi-day trips will also take place to other regions in Zambia. Note that willingness and ability to work frequent overtime is necessary for this position.
Area of selection/Eligibility:
This position is open to internal candidates who are eligible to work in Zambia (without employer sponsorship), who meet all of the essential qualifications stated below and whose applications are received by the closing date.
The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit.
- Grade 12 certificate or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Fluent in English, Bemba and Nyanja (oral and written)
- Must possess a valid permanent Zambian driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate an automatic and manual transmission
- 3 years of *recent relevant experience in the last five years in providing driving, delivery and errand services and arranging for car maintenance in an organization.
- Recent is within the last 5 years
- Detailed knowledge of destinations (embassies, official residences, major NGOs, government offices, police stations, hospitals) and roads in Lusaka and surroundings areas.
- Knowledge of Lusaka and routes of major destinations within Zambia.
- Familiarity with Zambian driving rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook mail, Word, Excel) and Internet
- Ability to read and understand road maps, GPS systems and road signs.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Initiative and Judgement
- Discretion and Professional Integrity
- Ability to coordinate conflicting priorities within tight deadlines
- Punctuality, dependency, tact and courtesy
- Ability to stay calm and rational in potentially challenging situations.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
- Previous driving/messenger experience working in a diplomatic mission, international or governmental organization.
- Fluency in Canada’s other official language (French)
- Knowledge of general administrative practices and procedures
- Experience in vehicle maintenance work
- Experience in office work
- The Government of Canada wishes to establish and maintain a representative workforce.
- Required to be in good health with vision appropriate to a main duty of driving (visual aids, e.g. glasses acceptable). A medical check will be required.
- Normal work week of 40 hours per week
- Ability and willingness to work frequent overtime after office hours and during week-ends.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Zambia.
- Able to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status Security Clearance.
- Must undertake a mandatory medical checkup and be fit for duty.
How to Apply
- Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
- Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited to attend a written and/or practical examination and if successful will be invited to attend an interview.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Office of the High Commission of Canada in Zambia does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Office of the High Commission of Canada in Zambia which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
- If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to [email protected]