John Snow, Inc.
Supporting an AIDS-Free Era
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which is led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, works to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position: Data Manager
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director, Monitoring & Evaluation
S/he will oversee the development and use of data systems with USAID SAFE and will establish efficient ways to organize, store and analyze data with attention to security and confidentiality. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases, including DHIS2 and data analysis procedures. S/he will also be tech-savvy and possess excellent troubleshooting skills. S/he conduct needs assessments, designs and participate in testing and implementation of new applications and/or enhancements and modifications to existing systems. S/he will provide assistance and training to system users (SI and technical staff).
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management, external stakeholders etc.
- Support others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to USAID SAFE policies
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.)
- Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modifications
- Develop specifications for data capture and input; monitors input to ensure consistency, quality, and integrity of data
- Participate in developing and designing methods and procedures for collecting, organizing, interpreting, and classifying information for input into electronic databases
- Develop and design databases (DHIS2) including applications for report generation, retrieval of data and other functions
- Develop alternate designs to resolve problems in input, storage, or retrieval of information, utilizing knowledge of electronic data processing principles, mathematics, and computer capabilities.
- Perform needs assessment activities and work with other information systems personnel to determine feasibility of development of new databases and enhancements or modifications to existing databases.
- Program, debug, and run a variety of scheduled and ad hoc data requirements, listings, summaries, statistics, labels, and other electronic and/or presentation reports.
- Make recommendations for program enhancements; assists in testing and implementation of modifications and enhancements.
- Provide leadership in the management of SmartCare and DHIS2 and work closely with MOH and Broadreach to ensure that SmartCare and any other data systems are always up to date and achieving their objectives.
- Report any system related challenges in data collection, storage and management to the SI Director/or SI Advisor promptly and ensure that solutions are found.
- Attend all data management related stakeholder meetings with MOH, USAID and other key national partners.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by supervisor
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in database construction; computer data processing principles; applied mathematics, management and data retrieval methods; structured programming, testing, and debugging techniques.
- Ability to: analyze operational data requirements and to create and develop databases specific to requirements;
- Design and implement systems necessary to collect, maintain, and analyze data
- Resolve data input problems; create data capture applications and input specifications and to design solutions and modifications to these;
- Develop integral systems capable of verifying data input and correction of errors on data entry;
- The candidate shall hold a Bachelor’s degree in computer Science, Statistics or other related field with a focus on databases;
- 5-10 years’ experience in database management.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of Health and/or HIV/AIDS programs, including planning, design and implementation of M&E systems is an added advantage;
- Good data analysis and report writing skills;
- Experience with digital forms of data collection such as CommCare, DHIS2, or other data collection software/apps.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively in both the public and NGO sectors
- Familiarity with Zambia health management information system and other national M&E systems
- Experience and understanding of the USG and PEPFAR framework and reporting system
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USG, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff.
Mode of Application:
Send an application via email ONLY to [email protected] In the subject line please indicate the position you are applying for; only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter (cover letter should include the last position held) and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information.
Closing Date: Tuesday, 28 May, 2019
Please note that you do NOT need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D