DATA MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT
The Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA), in collaboration with the University of California (Davis, CA, USA), the Tropical Diseases Research Centre (Ndola), and the National Food & Nutrition Commission (Lusaka), is undertaking nutrition research in Mkushi District. This involves a series of trials to test the nutritional impact of a new variety of “orange” maize developed using conventional plant breeding methods to have a high provitamin A content. The project is seeking qualified applicants for the post of Data Management Consultant.
- Work with the Project Scientist and Baltimore-based programmers to develop, test, and implement tablet-based data collection systems
- Maintain computer hardware including servers, desktop and laptop computers, mobile devices, networking, power supplies, printers, etc.
- Set up, test, operate, and troubleshoot other study applications (e.g., Inventory Database)
- Maintain central databases in SQL Server 2008 r2 and Microsoft 2013 and generating standard and ad hoc queries
Perform database queries in:-
- SQL Server 2008 r2 or above and
- Microsoft Access 2013 interfaces, as requested by senior project staff
- In collaboration with programmers in Baltimore, and guidance/approval from investigators, carry out data cleaning and reiterative querying of records SQL Server 2008 r2 and Microsoft 2013
- Degree in computer science, technical certificate in information technology, or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an information technology-related position
Skills (must have):
- Full competence with computer networking and hardware (technologically savvy)
- Full competence with Microsoft Office products
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Working knowledge of Bemba
- Ability to multi-task and work under strict deadlines
- Experience with database design, development and/or management
- Experience with computer-aided design or surveying
Terms and Conditions of Work
Salary: competitive and commensurate with qualifications and relevant experience
Location: Position will be based in Mkushi under the supervision of the Project Scientist. Travel may be required within Mkushi District and to Lusaka.
Duration of appointment: 12 months, with possibility of extension
Interested candidates should send via e-mail a letter of intent and current curriculum vitae with 3 traceable references to Amanda Palmer ([email protected]) or drop your application letter at our J.H.U Mkushi Office by 25 April 2016 All correspondence should include physical and e-mail addresses as well as a contact telephone number. Please reference “Data Management Consultant” in the e-mail subject line. Qualified applicants will be screened and tested in Mkushi as part of the selection process. Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from appropriately qualified people from all sections of the community.
Qualified people living with HIV/AIDS are particularly encouraged to apply.