The Administrative Officer is responsible for facilitating the efficient and effective operations of the Orbis Zambia office and pro-actively providing administrative and logistical support to the Country Director. This position is based in the Orbis Office in Lusaka and may require some domestic travel but no more than 10% of the time.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Administrative Officer reports to the Country Director, Orbis Zambia works collaboratively with the Zambia program and finance staff. They also liaise with operations and HR colleagues at the Orbis headquarters office in New York.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Serve as the first point of contact for telephone callers and visitors to the office, as well as incoming mail and general emails.
- Update the office information on the Orbis intranet as needed.
- Maintain the Orbis Zambia office calendar and list of key contacts, and handle meeting logistics for staff meetings and other meetings.
- Provide administrative support to the Country Director. This includes maintaining the Country Director’s schedule, typing up meeting notes, drafting letters, etc.
- Assist the country director in development/adaptation of administrative procedures and policies for the country office.
- Maintain electronic and hard-copy office files.
- Assist the country director and Finance Manager in maintaining relationships with vendors who provide services to the Orbis Zambia office locations and process office vendor invoices for payment.
- Ensure a safe, pleasant and clean physical environment in the country office.
- Procure office equipment and supplies and maintain inventory of capital assets.
- Liaise with the Operations Director in New York regarding safety and security of the Orbis Zambia staff and facilities and work with the Country Director to ensure safety and security measures are in place and updated as needed.
- Liaise with the Patents and Companies Registration Agency (PACRA) and the Ministry of Community Development NGO Board for registration, renewal and annual financial approval; ensure timely response to the agency and board requirements.
- Liaise with various government departments for issuance of government orders for Orbis programs as appropriate
- Prepare the logistics of visitors to the Zambia office and Zambia field programs.
- Support the program staff in ensuring timely approval of medical credentialing for the Hospital Based Training programs and Flying Eye Hospital Programs
- Assist the country director with staff recruitment. This includes placing job ads, scheduling interviews and liaising with job applicants and the HR team in New York
- Provide new hire orientation to new staff members
- Assist the country director with the staff benefits program. This includes liaising bill the benefits broker, the HR team in New York, processing benefits invoices for payment, and completing annual benefits surveys
- Ensure relevant stakeholders in the Orbis headquarters office are informed about staffing changes. This includes providing monthly HR metrics reports to the HR team in New York
- Maintain confidential personnel files and leave records
- Provide travel support (purchase tickets, hotel arrangements, etc.) to country program staff, consultants and visitors; logistical support for organizing meetings and workshops
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in any discipline or commensurate work experience in similar role
- At least 2years experience working in an administrative support role
- Experience in an international and multicultural organization strongly preferred
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Highly functional in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel
- Proven administrative skills, including typing, correspondence, file management and working with office equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills with a strong customer-centered approach and the ability to maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders across different countries and cultures.
- Excellent organizational & planning skills: ability to effectively multi-task and manage a broad spectrum of detail-oriented responsibilities with the appropriate sense of urgency.
- Strong attention to detail: ability to process details with a high degree of accuracy.
- Flexible, pro-active, and open-minded work style: the ability to work productively both independently and in a team-based environment.
- Fluent in English (verbal and written).
- Ability to be discrete and maintain confidentiality
To learn more about Orbis, go to www.orbis.org
Orbis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a global organization, we welcome qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and cultures who reflect the five Orbis values of Trust, Caring, Commitment, Accountability, and Excellence.